how to make things better(tm)

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Fri Mar 5 20:18:03 UTC 2010

On Fri, Mar 05, 2010 at 12:55:23PM -0500, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Orcan Ogetbil (oget.fedora at gmail.com) said:
> > There is one more thing. Very important thing. We have been pushing
> > KDE releases asap so far, and although it hurt me at times (at school
> > and at work), I like it. I don't blame people who don't. Here is the
> > thing: The bugs need to be reported most of the time to get fixed.
> > Fedora has been a pioneer in KDE development in this sense. If we
> > don't push 4.x.0 releases to stable, the 4.x.1 will be more buggy,
> > since not many distros do kde 4.x.0 updates to their stable releases.
> > Someone has to make some sort of sacrifice but I cannot come up with a
> > good-for-all resolution for this issue.
>
> If we are going down the road of providing absolute-latest-versions on
> older releases, perhaps not pushing it to prior releases until it's
> actually been in wide use on the next release? So, you have, for example:
>
> - new version 4.6
> -> push it to rawhide, get testing
> -> get new Fedora release with that version
> --> get *even more testing*, make needed fixes
>
> And only *then* do you push it to the prior releases, once it's actually
> proven that it's not going to break things for the widest group of users.
> It lets you not only use the rawhide adopters, who expect major change,
> but the next-release early adopters, who also expect adjustments on moving
> to a next major release.

There's multiple ways this could look since we have multiple repos.  Does
this look like you are imagining?

1) Build for rawhide, F-14, F-13
2) Push to updates-testing on F-14 and F-13
2.1) Testing period.  If bugs are found and fixed go back to (1)
3) Push F-14 to updates/release
3.1) Testing period.  If bugs are found and fixed go back to (1)
4) Push to F-13 updates.

-Toshio