Update question: some user data

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Sat Mar 6 19:04:31 UTC 2010

I thought to myself yesterday, 'what this long and fractious thread
about update policy *really* needs is some unscientific and
controversial numbers'. =) So, I ran a forum poll! Everyone loves those,
right?

Here it is: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=241710

I tried to present the poll in a very neutral way, and as far as I know,
it hasn't been linked to from anywhere else; only regular forum members
are likely to come across it. So it shouldn't be massively inherently
biased, and has a reasonable shot of giving us a vague idea of what some
Real Fedora Users think.

The numbers do surprise me, to be honest. As I write this, it's 34-8 -
that's over 80% - in favour of 'adventurous' updates. A lot of the
replies make it clear that people really do see being 'bleeding edge' as
being a part of Fedora's nature, and a part of the reason why they run
it. I wouldn't honestly have expected that; I'd have expected much
closer to a 50/50 split if anything. A lot of people explicitly say
things like 'I run Fedora so I can have the latest stuff on my desktop,
if I want a more conservative system I'll run CentOS'.

No, the voting numbers aren't huge, but it's still some kind of data. I
can promote the poll to the forum front page to try and get more input,
if desired.

What do people make of this?
--
Adam Williamson