Another great update

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at googlemail.com
Sat Mar 6 22:07:13 UTC 2010

Am Samstag, den 06.03.2010, 21:10 +0100 schrieb Dominik 'Rathann'
Mierzejewski:
> On Saturday, 06 March 2010 at 18:49, Christoph Wickert wrote:
> > Am Samstag, den 06.03.2010, 18:17 +0100 schrieb Michał Piotrowski:
> [...]
> > > Because I don't understand the
> > > criteria for Fedora package update.
> > >
> > > Why I can install KDE 4.4 in F11 and I can't install latest gnome?
> >
> > Because the KDE SIG uses different criteria than most of the other
> > packagers.
>
> How do you know what criteria most packagers use? I assume you have done
> some analysis, since you stated that so authoritatively. Can we see your
> analysis?

I didn't state anything authoritatively and what I described is what
everybody who looks at https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates will see.

He will see huge KDE updates like
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/search/kdebase-runtime
By taking a closer look he will then see that KDE in F11 was released
with KDE 4.2.2, then updated to 4.2.3, then 4.2.4, 4.3.0, 4.3.1, 4.3.2,
4.3.3, 4.3.4, 4.3.5 and finally to 4.4.0. This means that
kdebase-workspace is one of the most updated packages in Fedora:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/metrics/?release=F11

Most of our packagers follow the guidelines from the wiki:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Package_update_guidelines
This means, they apply at least three criteria:
      * An update should not break something
      * An update should be backwards compatible, e.g. it should not
        change the syntax or location of a config file so that old
        settings can no longer be applied.
      * An update should not change the behavior of an basic
        application, e.g. think of when Thunderbird started indexing
        automatically after an update.

Summing it all up I think I don't think it is pretty obvious that the
KDE SIG uses different criteria then most other maintainers. This is
just a statement and no criticism.

> Regards,
> R.

Regards,