Another great update

Orcan Ogetbil oget.fedora at gmail.com
Sun Mar 7 01:13:35 UTC 2010

On Sat, Mar 6, 2010 at 6:28 PM, Kalev Lember wrote:
> On 03/07/2010 12:52 AM, Orcan Ogetbil wrote:
>> Yet moreover you also have the option of updating bugfixes in
>> addition, leaving the enhancement updates out.
>
> I really don't think I have that option. It might work in some cases,
> but generally it's bound to fail.
>
> A security update in an application which uses KDE or Qt libs (both of
> which were upgraded to a new feature release recently in F-11 and F-12)
> will be built against those new libs. It's a common practice that new
> versions of libraries continue working with programs that were compiled
> against an older version of said library. But it doesn't work the other
> way around: something built against Qt 4.5 is supposed to continue
> working with Qt 4.6, but an application built against Qt 4.6 will have
> no guarantees that it also runs with Qt 4.5. This is the reason why only
> applying security updates doesn't work if underlying libraries get
> upgraded to new feature releases meanwhile.
>

> Let me quote mail titled "Read this if your package BuildRequires
> qt(4)-devel!!!" here.

You are correct. But we are talking about Fedora, right? Going to the
latest is the ultimate goal. The question is: when?

This is the reason why I believe in extensive use of updates-testing.
Big updates such as the one you pointed above should stay in testing
for a longer period of time, until it is safe for most to update.

Orcan