Another great update

Peter Boy pboy at barkhof.uni-bremen.de
Sun Mar 7 04:28:34 UTC 2010

Am Sonntag, den 07.03.2010, 01:49 +0100 schrieb Michał Piotrowski:
> Let's consider a situation - I'm developing a project in php 5.2. This
> project might work fine on php 5.3 - I don't know I didn't tested it
> yet. I'm depending on 5.2 version. Testing this code for a new php
> will take some time.
>
> Php 5.3 is considered as stable in F12 - fine for me, but IMHO should
> never be considered as an update for F11. Some people depend on some
> constant values here - php 5.2, postgres 8.3 etc.

Others may be eager to test their software with 5.3, but can not spend
the time to make a system update to F12.

For your issue: have a look at /etc/yum.conf and exclude php from
updates (instead of expecting all users of f11 to do without newer
software).

> I know that there is a RHEL5/CentOS5 for such things, but this is
> pretty outdated OS for my needs.

You got the point. Therefore people are using Fedora and expect to get
newer software versions which may provide additional functions which may
come in handy, as soon as possible.

Peter