Another great update

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Sun Mar 7 09:51:31 UTC 2010

I've been refraining from commenting on these update-threads but as it
seems folks have started actually counting the pro semi-rolling vs
conservative updates style replies... for the record:

On Sun, 7 Mar 2010, Kalev Lember wrote:

> I'd personally want to be able to _choose_ if and when I want to get all
> the new stuff. If I have time, I upgrade to new Fedora release and
> happily deal with all the problems that come up. This is exactly what
> new distro releases are for -- people prepare for the upgrade and take
> time to do it.

Amen to this. I use Fedora for doing my day-job, along with all the other
"freetime surfing" type activities. My wife also runs Fedora exclusively
on her laptop and is perfectly happy with it and doesn't even mind the
occasional bug + working around it too much, as long as updates dont break
*new* things. Distro upgrades to latest and greatest new Fedora release
get done on an idle weekend when we've time to deal with the inevitable
changes (including but not limited to potential breakage) - the silly
little preferences like "where did the knob to switch off blinking
terminal cursor move /this/ time?"

Dealing with disruptive updates to a supposedly stable, released distro
version means time taken away from something else, when you're not
prepared to do so. For me, it means time away from developing rpm (ie
making the *next* version of Fedora hopefully that little bit better for
all). I don't want to have to spend time cherry-picking updates either, I
want to be able to just run "yum update" and trust that whatever it brings
in, fixes bugs important enough to warrant the update. Without having to
worry if I can still connect to company VPN afterwards to get my job done,
or having to figure out and explain to my wife how feature XYZ now works
after she applied the latest update-pile at a time it seemed convenient
for her to do but wasn't as the update brought in something unexpected.

And also just for the record, I'd be screaming bloody murder if the entire
desktop environment got changed one day in an "innocent little bugfix
update."

 	- Panu -