Another great update

Orcan Ogetbil oget.fedora at gmail.com
Sun Mar 7 12:34:25 UTC 2010

On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 6:08 AM, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Sat, 6 Mar 2010 20:47:40 -0500, Orcan wrote:

>> > If you have a large codebase two months is barely enough time to even
>> > big evaluating a move
>> >

>> Then make it 3 months, 4 months... Leave it in testing forever if you
>> get too many complaints. But make it available for those who want it.
>
> You want to force the dist users to consider updates-testing.
> That isn't nice, and you won't be successful with such a strategy.

"it is nice." is what users say, not me. I am talking as someone who
has been using this strategy for a long time now. And I claim to be
successful. On the other hand you are claiming that someone who would
do what I did will not be successful. Well, experience wins.

So far (in the last 15 monnths or so) I have gotten many good comments
and thanks by using this strategy. I got 0 (zero) complaints about a
particular update that shouldn't go into a stable release. The only
complaints I got were about a few packages that I didn't have time to
update in stable releases. People wanted updates.

I am quite happy with the feedback I get from the people who use my
packages from updates-testing. The feedback as in bodhi, in mailing
lists, forums, private messages in forums, private emails etc. I don't
claim that all my packages got feedback. But the major ones do, most
of the time. And at various times, I fixed stuff based on feedback, on
the enchancement updates I made in updates-testing of stable releases.
Upstreams benefited from this too.

Orcan