Another great update

Orcan Ogetbil oget.fedora at gmail.com
Sun Mar 7 16:02:46 UTC 2010

On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 10:55 AM, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 07, 2010 at 07:34:25AM -0500, Orcan Ogetbil wrote:

>> > You want to force the dist users to consider updates-testing.
>> > That isn't nice, and you won't be successful with such a strategy.
>> >

>> "it is nice." is what users say, not me. I am talking as someone who
>> has been using this strategy for a long time now. And I claim to be
>> successful. On the other hand you are claiming that someone who would
>> do what I did will not be successful. Well, experience wins.
>>
>> So far (in the last 15 monnths or so) I have gotten many good comments
>> and thanks by using this strategy. I got 0 (zero) complaints about a
>> particular update that shouldn't go into a stable release. The only
>> complaints I got were about a few packages that I didn't have time to
>> update in stable releases. People wanted updates.
>>
> Just last night I ran into an issue with this model.  Packages in
> updates-testing aren't available to the buildroot by default.  So when you
> need a package in updates testing in order to build you need a buildroot
> override.  If you have a buildroot override, you no longer have the luxury
> of leaving an update in updates-testing for as long as you think necessary;

>From what I understand, this is not totally correct. You can ask for
removal from the buildroot override as soon as you are done building
your package. In fact, Releng explicitly asks us to tell them when we
are done so they can remove the override. (are we talking about the
same issue here?)

This is one part of my model which works but is not perfect. If this
can be automated, or a packager interface is written for overrides,
then we are in business.

Orcan