Update question: some user data

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at redhat.com
Sun Mar 7 17:06:29 UTC 2010

On Sun, 7 Mar 2010, psmith wrote:

> On 06/03/10 20:14, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>
> On 03/07/2010 01:40 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:
>

> If that were the case, I'd have expected someone to bring it up in the
> comments. No-one has.
>
> I've never actually heard of anyone running FN-1 because they want a
> 'more stable' system; this thread was the first time I heard that
> theory. In my experience, people run FN-1 because FN doesn't work for
> some reason, or just because they installed it when it was FN and don't
> want to take the time to upgrade...but that doesn't mean they want
> 'conservative' updates, necessarily.
>

> A lot of users in our users list recommend and use a previous release
> because they want more a more robust system with conservative updates
> and do believe that using a older Fedora provides them with that since
> the important bugs would have been found and fixed already and that's
> one of the reasons I recommended that you subscribe to that list even if
> you aren't actively participating so that you get a better idea of our
> user base :-)
>
> Rahul
>

> then i seriously think we are following different lists :/
>
> as adam's poll is starting to show the majority of fedora users choose fedora for the fact that it is leading the way
> with the newer software and that it has constant updates. (ie freedom,friends,features,first!) this argument that most
> fedora users want a more stable system is not what the fedora users i came across are after. tbh i think this whole
> identity crisis is blown of of all proportion, you'd think that something like this would have come with the fedora10
> dbus probs or the 'stabilisation cannot be detected' not now with a little kde popup window :0

Adam's poll isn't representative of the majority of Fedora users at all,
and attempts to make it that are dangerous.  That's not to say a poll
representative of Fedora users wouldn't come out with the same results.
It very well might.  But this poll is poorly worded and only
representative of those who have found the poll, logged in and took the
poll.

	-Mike