Another great update

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Mon Mar 8 09:20:46 UTC 2010

On Saturday 06 March 2010 23:48:23 Kalev Lember wrote:
> On 03/07/2010 12:25 AM, Orcan Ogetbil wrote:
> > On Sat, Mar 6, 2010 at 5:16 PM, Christoph Wickert wrote:
> >> +1, Michał! People who want the latest and greatest have already updated
> >> to F12 months ago anyway, so there is not much use in pushing new
> >> versions to F11.
> >
> > Why? I don't want to update/reinstall all my machines every 6 months.
> > And I expect the same amount of latestness an greatestness from F-11 and
> > F-12. And I am not alone. (See the discussions in the devel list for the
> > last 2 weeks.
> >
> > When version X of a software is supported in F-12, the same version X
> > can be supported most of the time in F-11. And if it can be supported,
> > it should be supported.
>
> I'd personally want to be able to _choose_ if and when I want to get all
> the new stuff. If I have time, I upgrade to new Fedora release and
> happily deal with all the problems that come up. This is exactly what
> new distro releases are for -- people prepare for the upgrade and take
> time to do it.
>
> But what happened now is that a major Desktop Environment version was
> dumped in a stable Fedora release, and it annoyed some people (me
> included). If the new version had only come with F-13 instead, then I'd
> have an option to choose _when_ I want to upgrade from F-12 to F-13 to
> deal with the problems that might arise with the new version. But if the
> new version is dumped upon me in the middle of a week, I'm left without
> a choice. I have to immediately deal with whatever problems arise from
> the upgrade. Now think how someone who administers more than one
> computer would react to that -- I'm sure they also want to choose when
> to get major upgrades so that they could upgrade when they feel they
> have enough time for that.

Major KDE update was in time of Fedora 9, so it's not an issue today.

And this it the first problem - we should not call major, minor, bugfix release
because it doesn't mean the same for every each app out in the wild!!!

(KDE versioning is X.Y.Z where X is major, Y is minor and Z is bugfix release).

Jaroslav

--
Jaroslav Řezník <jreznik at redhat.com>

Office: +420 532 294 275