How does one deal with obsoleted updates from updates-testing

Quentin Armitage Quentin at Armitage.org.uk
Mon Mar 8 18:54:45 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-03-08 at 10:26 -0500, Seth Vidal wrote:

> On Mon, 8 Mar 2010, Quentin Armitage wrote:
>
> > The glibc packages (including nscd) were in updates-testing, but have
> > been obsoleted, and so 2.11.90-12 is now the current version again. What
> > is the mechanism for becoming aware that a package that has been
> > installed through updates-testing has been obsoleted (especially since
> > the standard install of F-13 rc has updates-testing enabled)?
>
> They've not been obsoleted, they've just been updated. Obsoleted has a
> different special meaning in rpm-parlance.

Sorry, I should have been clearer. glibc-2.11.90.14 is showing in Bodhi
as being Status: obsolete. Bodhi shows that version was pushed to
testing, and it was installed on my system when I installed F-13 on 1st
March. That version appears is now no longer in updates-testing, and the
current version is the earlier version, glibc-2.11.90-12. So far as I
can see, there is no automatic mechanism to become aware of when a
package has been in updates-testing and has subsequently been removed
(?due to obsoleting in Bodhi), and the package needs reverting to an
earlier version.

> > Bodhi doesn't even list gtksourceview2-2.9.7-1.fc13, so I can't see
> > where that came from, but the current version for F-13 appears to be
> > 2.9.5-1.fc13.

I can't see any reference to gtksourceview2-2.9.7-1.fc13 in Bodhi, but
it was installed on my F-13 system on 1st March. The current version for
F-13 seems to be 2.9.5-1, but I cannot see anything that says
gtksourceview2 as been removed.

Quentin Armitage