Another great update

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon Mar 8 19:30:57 UTC 2010

On Sat, 2010-03-06 at 20:47 -0500, Orcan Ogetbil wrote:

> Then make it 3 months, 4 months... Leave it in testing forever if you
> get too many complaints. But make it available for those who want it.

This is not the purpose of updates-testing, it is not an alternative
update repo. It is there for focused testing of packages you - the
developer - believe are already ready to be pushed out as updates;
basically it's where you send your update 'release candidates' for
others to make sure you got it right. If it works, it goes to updates.
If not, you unpush it, fix it, and try again. Things should not live
there.

What you describe is the function of a separate 'backports' style repo,
as discussed earlier in the thread. Since we don't have one at present,
the best option is to do a scratch build and host it yourself, *not*
misuse updates-testing to host a package you have no immediate intention
of shipping as an update. The current processes just are not set up for
updates-testing to be used for this purpose.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey