Proposed udpates policy change

Al Dunsmuir al.dunsmuir at sympatico.ca
Mon Mar 8 22:32:29 UTC 2010

-1.  Nay.  NoWay.  No thanks.  Uh uh.

I  could  find  little or nothing in your proposal to which I agreed... so
decided not to quote any.

I  just  registered  at  Fedoraforums.org  and  voted "adventurous" in
Adam's  poll.   Just  to  make  sure  my  voice  is heard, and not the
shouting  of  folks who think they know what I want, and want to limit
my choices for my own good.

I'm using Fedora, which means I want to run leading edge (or at worst current)
software.  I  do  software development, and want to have access to the latest
and greatest without running Rawhide.  I've been a Fedora user since FC3.

I have no interest in using RHEL on my systems.  You appear to want to turn
Fedora into a RHEL clone.  Centos does that well enough already.

If   you  don't  want to update your own packages except in rawhide or
the development  release at alpha level,  that  is your choice.  Please do
not inhibit my choices  by  trying to outlaw the very thing that makes Fedora
vital for me as an end user.

By the way, you made a  trivial error when you created the Subject line.
Since  stuff  like  that  happens with packages, I'd like packagers to
have   the  ability  to  correct problems.  Similarly, if a package is
under   active   development  I  appreciate  the  ability  to  receive
enhancements in the service stream for supported releases.

Either  fixes  or  enhancements  should be reasonably well tested, and
well  documented  (including update comments).  Radically incompatible
fixes/enhancements  that inconvenience users and break running systems
are indeed problematic... why yes, I do run bind on my Fedora servers.

Al