Announcing `gold-rebuild' - link your packages with gold now

Roland McGrath roland at redhat.com
Mon Mar 8 22:46:05 UTC 2010

Nice hack, Michal!  As you are aware, I have been slowly preparing things
to get towards the option of using gold for real in the future.  Making
this sort of testing easy is about the next thing I thought someone should
do (and wasn't going to hack on myself!), so it's a thrill to see you've
taken the initiative.

I believe that upstream gold has changed a fair bit since the binutils
snapshot we have in Fedora.  Before paying much attention to actual testing
results, I would recommend working with nickc to get a fresher binutils
based on current upstream into rawhide (it's too late to be mucking with
F-13 tools now).

I had not been planning to announce or recommend anyone play with gold
until that was done.  As your wiki page mentions, for playing locally by
hand you can already (as of F-13) use:
	alternatives --set /usr/bin/ld /usr/bin/ld.gold
to try some compilations.

Even with the latest gold, there are still some known limitations.
So nobody should be expecting perfection.  But it is useful to collect
the cases that fail in ways that are not already known gold bugs.

Thanks,
Roland