Proposed udpates policy change

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Mon Mar 8 22:57:00 UTC 2010

On Mon, Mar 08, 2010 at 11:18:17PM +0100, Björn Persson wrote:
> Matthew Garrett wrote:
> > Proposal
> > --------
> >
> > The ability for maintainers to flag an update directly into the updates
> > repository will be disabled. Before being added to updates, the package
> > must receive a net karma of +3 in Bodhi.
>
> Would that apply also to new packages being pushed as updates to stable
> releases, or only to updates to existing packages?

That is a good point. It's obviously the case that a new package can't
be less functional than the non-existent package it replaces, but
there's also a risk that a new package could break other packages that
are already installed - which is basically a way of me saying "I don't
know yet", and I hope that we can sort that out with some further
discussion. The real risk I see with blocking new packages is that
there's much less chance for them to get external testing.

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org