Refining the update queues/process [Was: Worthless updates]

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Tue Mar 9 00:00:12 UTC 2010

On Mon, Mar 08, 2010 at 17:30:14 -0600,
  Mike McGrath <mmcgrath at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Mar 2010, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Mar 05, 2010 at 23:52:24 +0100,
> >   Michael Schwendt <mschwendt at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > It takes days for updates to be distributed to mirrors. A week may be
> > > nothing for that important power-user of app 'A', who would find a problem
> > > as soon as he *would* try out a test-update.
> >
> > Some mirrors. Others have stuff within hours. Currently most of the kernel.org
> > mirrors are picking stuff up pretty rapidly. Though things change over time.
> >

> Are we seeing mirrors that are more than 2 days out of date in the mirror
> list?

I occasionally see mirrors that appear to be that far out of date. Though
the way it happens is if the kernel.org mirrors are lagging (maybe some other
distro had an update), I'll use the rawhide mirrors web page and go looking
for other mirrors that appear to be up to date and then use them for rsyncing
for a while and then go back to mirrorsX.kernel.org. I suspect that there
are some that update weekly based on the lag I see.
If I run accross examples in the future, is there information you would like
captured?