Proposed udpates policy change

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Tue Mar 9 00:55:03 UTC 2010

On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 7:39 PM, Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger at gmail.com> wrote:
> You're willing to say that if I update one of my packages that has a script
> of 30 lines, is a leaf node, and the update is to give the script an
> optional argument to print output to stdout instead of writing to a file
> that I'm incapable of building that package and then QA'ing the package from
> the update-testing repository?

Yes. And that is 0.001% of the package updates. In fact, skip the
noise of pushing that as an update, wait until something interesting
happens to roll it out.

There is no gain in rolling an rpm everytime. And there is a cost --
in many "cheap" resources (bandwidth, cpu burn in builders), and in
costly resources, like review time of your downstreams if they care
about their QA.

#3 is correct for 99.9% of the worthwhile package updates. Don't call
it an axiom if it bothers you to be unfair to a tiny portion of
updates.

But is a damn important point that is central to what a distro is.

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions