Update question: some user data

Orcan Ogetbil oget.fedora at gmail.com
Tue Mar 9 03:49:03 UTC 2010

On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 4:43 PM, Till Maas wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 08, 2010 at 12:34:03PM -0500, Will Woods wrote:
>
>> Adam's poll results are valid *only* for Fedora users who:
>>
>> a) Are members of the Fedora forum,
>> b) Enthusiasts/power-users to the degree that they would notice a new
>> threads/poll within a day of its posting, and
>> c) Hold a strong enough opinion to feel the need to answer the poll.
>>
>> It seems obvious that this group would lean more towards the
>> adventurous, power-user side of things.
>
> I would never associated forums with power users, because advanced users
> typically use mailing lists or newsgroups instead of a forum, if there
> are multiple options.

I would. Actually I do. Not only as a power user, also as a developer.
For instance, there is a developers subforum at fedoraforum.

These are the only numbers we got. It is 72% vs 28% so far.

Some folks here say that the forum consists mostly from people who are
enthusiasts, who are already experimenting with their Fedora, and they
don't represent the larger population. They claim that there is a huge
mass of folks out there who would vote for "conservative" updates but
they are not subscribed to fedoraforum. The size of these huge mass is
so enormous that the number of people subscribed to the forum is not
significant in comparison.

Guys, this sounds like the dark matter physicists claim to exist. It
is there but you don't know what it is.

It is mostly these type of users (people from forums such as
fedoraforum) who get in touch with us, filing bugs, etc. These people
are the ones who can be considered to be the closest thing we have to
testers. And they help a lot, with or without knowing.

It matters to me what these type of users  say what type of policy of
updates they want. It does not matter to me much what the imaginary
huge mass dark matter people think who don't even interact with me. If
we totally change the policy to (semi)-rolling, they won't interact
again, so what do you care?

Seriously, what do you care?

Orcan