Proposed udpates policy change

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Tue Mar 9 10:26:29 UTC 2010

On 03/09/2010 03:29 AM, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> The ability for maintainers to flag an update directly into the updates
> repository will be disabled. Before being added to updates, the package
> must receive a net karma of +3 in Bodhi.

I don't see how we expect that for all packages to get enough karma and
while some of them can get feedback within the current infrastructure
and considering the wide variety of packages (niche libraries for
example)  it is naive to believe that we are going to accomplish and
hence my counter points are:

*  We need improvements in our infrastructure (easy karma is one avenue
but Pacagekit integration and other ways to get users to provide input
needs to be in place first)
*  We need to consider what we need as exceptions to this rule or more
sensibly enforce this rule only in crit path packages initially
*  If a time limit is considered as a alternative we need to document
ways to escalate and file a exception if necessary and again I would
recommend only consider enforcing it for crit packages first

As it current stands I am against this proposal

Rahul