Proposed udpates policy change

Mathieu Bridon bochecha at fedoraproject.org
Tue Mar 9 13:20:20 UTC 2010

On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 10:51, Joe Orton <jorton at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 08, 2010 at 09:59:29PM +0000, Matthew Garrett wrote:
>> It is the expectation of Fesco that the majority of updates should
>> easily be able to garner the necessary karma in a minimal space of time.
>
> This seems naive to me.  My experience is that there are few people
> willing to provide testing karma, even for relatively high-profile
> packages.  It took about three months to get as many people to submit
> positive testing results for an httpd F-11 update in updates-testing
> recently.

If the issues this update was solbing really bothered them, they would
have provided feedback earlier.

I maintain some niche packages that almost no one uses/no one would
provide karma for. But if I'm asked for a bugfix, and I do it, I want
the people requesting it to tell me that it indeed fixes the issue and
doesn't break anything else. Why would I bother if they don't care?