PROPOSAL: Fedora user survey

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Tue Mar 9 14:57:05 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-03-09 at 08:51 -0500, Seth Vidal wrote:

> We get the users we aim for.

Not really true. We don't aim at all, and we only get the users that can
bear to stay with us...

> Here's the camps I see:
>
> 1. One group wants us to aim for mom/pop/grandma/desktop users - the
> apple market or what ubuntu aims for.
>
> 2. one group wants us to aim exclusively for the bleeding edge open
> source developer market.
>
> 3. one group wants us to aim for the admin/experienced user who wants
> newer things but doesn't have time nor interest to fight with lots of broken things.

That is one way to phrase it. But really, the first is not just a
'marked', it is everybody. Who wouldn't want a system that works without
much of a hassle and lets me do what I want to do without requiring
constant attention to breakage and changes ?

And if you don't have anything to offer to the first group, the second
group is going to loose interest too. Why would somebody want to develop
software on a system that has no users ? If the users are all using
other OSes, then it only makes sense to develop the software on those
OSes. I cannot imagine anybody wanting to develop apps on or for Fedora
in its current state.