Proposed udpates policy change

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Tue Mar 9 15:42:30 UTC 2010

On Tue, Mar 09, 2010 at 09:52:28AM +0100, Dan Horák wrote:
> Matthew Garrett píše v Po 08. 03. 2010 v 21:59 +0000:
> > This is the policy that I expect to be discussed during the Fesco
> > meeting tomorrow. This is entirely orthogonal to the ongoing discussions
> > regarding whether updates in stable releases should be expected to
> > provide features or purely bugfixes, and I don't see any conflict in
> > introducing it before those discussions have concluded.
> >
> > Introduction
> > ------------
> >
> > We assume the following axioms:
>
> I think first should come the answer on "what problem is this proposal
> trying to solve?". Is it the plain number of updates? Is it the quality
> of updates? What updates failed?

AFAICS, it's to prevent regressions from creeping into the updates repo
unnoticed.  However, it's not clear what the problematic regression::wanted
bugfix ratio is.

Plain number of updates would probably be cut down by this proposal but
policy that addresses that directly is not present in the current document
-- that's been talked about on this list in other threads though.

-Toshio