Update question: some user data

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Tue Mar 9 00:27:39 UTC 2010

Will Woods wrote:
> So the only unknown is: exactly what percentage of our *current* users
> are willing to accept a loss of stability in favor of New Hotness? But
> I'm fairly certain this question is *irrelevant*. Our current users'
> expectations are already set by their past experience with Fedora. If
> they're still Fedora users, they're willing to accept - and *have*
> accepted - whatever we're currently doing.
>
> In short: I fully support gathering actual data, but I think it would be
> more useful to gather data to help shape overall *goals*, and work
> toward those goals. It might also be useful to poll people *outside* our
> current user/developer base and find out what we'd need to do to attract
> *new* users and contributors.

But why would we want to ignore the expectations of our current userbase
just to attract some potential new users who are unlikely to switch anyway?
If they're happy with Ubuntu, Winblow$ or whatever, let them use what
they're happy with. Just blindly copying the competition helps no one.

        Kevin Kofler