QA's Package update policy proposal

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Tue Mar 9 18:38:44 UTC 2010

On Tue, 09 Mar 2010 10:12:41 -0800, Adam wrote:

> Please provide details on what's mad about Kamil's proposal.

Here:

| The package updates must spend at least 14 days [1] in the
| 'updates-testing' repository, or at least 7 days [1] provided they have
| karma of at least 3 [1] and no negative feedback. Only after that the
| package maintainer may submit them to the 'updates' repository.

Even under consideration of [1], it's the same system that doesn't work
for me and won't work for me.

Under some circumstances it would be justified to overrule negative
feedback even. E.g. if it's a user who just wants to block a good update
because of his pet peeve.

> The proposal isn't really about expanding testing activities, it's about
> formally codifying how the updates process is actually supposed to work.

It isn't a snapshot of how it works currently, though. It is an attempt
at introducing and hardcoding a process, and I'm unhappy with the
proposals so far as long as they are supposed to cover my packages and
confine me into something that would be much more plausible for the
critpath package set.