KDE-SIG meeting report (10/2010)

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Tue Mar 9 18:45:15 UTC 2010

On Tue, Mar 09, 2010 at 07:30:10PM +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Matthew Garrett wrote:
> > Contrary to the assertion in the meeting, udisks has not removed polling
> > support.
>
> Sorry, but that's the impression we got from this mail:
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/devkit-devel/2010-January/000691.html

The old polling code tried to do a number of things itself. The new
polling code simply tries to open the device, which causes the kernel to
generate events itself.

> And wasn't saving power by not doing polling one of the reasons you want to
> do away with HAL in the first place?

hal is started at system boot, whereas udisks is started on demand. If
nothing's using its functionality then there won't be any polling, so
getting rid of hal-storage-addon reduces power consumption.

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org