Update policies: What about *regular* updates?

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 9 19:55:25 UTC 2010

We are talking a lot about update policies recently. While I do (mostly)
agree with those who suggested a more conservative approach, I wonder
what will then happen to packages that actually *need* regular updates.
Let me give you two examples:
     1. openal-soft: Is under steady development and improves a lot.
        From time to time, I guess once a month, the maintainer pushes
        an update. Usually this updates fixes at least one bz issue, so
        I don't think it should be a problem with the new policy. I just
        want to make sure.
     2. Parrot/Rakudo: are released once a month. Our parrot feature [1]
        in F12 not only means to have it in Fedora but to do regular
        updates each month, because perl developers want to be able to
        develop for the latest implementation of perl 6 while still
        having a released version of Fedora as a solid platform.

How do these fit into the proposed guidelines? Will maintainers be able
to push these updates without having to explain themselves?

Regards,
Christoph

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Rakudo_Perl_6