PROPOSAL: Fedora user survey

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Tue Mar 9 22:26:29 UTC 2010

On Tue, Mar 09, 2010 at 09:57:15 -0500,
  Al Dunsmuir <al.dunsmuir at sympatico.ca> wrote:

> I  prefer  to work on the server in X.  The massive X changes over the
> last  few  releases  introduced problems were for a good cause (but at
> the time were painful).  I expect that to be fairly settled down, as I
> don't run any applications that require 3d.

I have personally found it pretty painful. I think maybe some things could
have been done better, but there were limited resources and the state of
free video drivers was very poor. There have been a lot of improvements and
there are more to come.

I think that the X stuff will be temporary, but will still be F15 or F16
before things are really stable. I am hoping that a better job of preventing
regressions during a release can be done going forward now that basic support
is there for the of major cards. And allow for people to play with experimental
drivers during the release to try the new features (and there is a lot more
that needs to be done) while having a safe fallback.