PROPOSAL: Fedora user survey

H. Guémar karlthered at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 10:11:56 UTC 2010

> I think Fedora's balance has moved a bit to far in the fast-moving, frontier direction

This could be fixed by better feedbacks (statistics, autoQA, more
testers, integration of bodhi in package managers, etc ...), so
maintainers can adapt their update policy.
Another idea would be defining packages set (core ==> conservative
update path, widely used ===> less conservative, could not bypass
updates-testing without approval of testers, others  ===> keep current
update policy + good practices recommandation).

A one-size-fits-all update policy would just burden package
maintainers (we already have abrt for that ;-) ) and will bring more
issues than it solves.
Before, we need to define our target (regular joe/jane, early
adopters, sysadmin, free software enthusiast) and then define an
update policy that please most of them (and contributors).
Maybe we should set it as a goal for F-14, leaves us more than enough
time to think, reorganize QA team and improve our tools.