Meeting summary/minutes for 2010-03-09 FESCo meeting

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Wed Mar 10 15:22:37 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-03-10 at 13:08 +0100, Till Maas wrote:

> Afaics this does not affect some minor issue, but a fundamental reason
> why package maintainer decided to become Fedora package maintainers.
> No volunteer package maintainer is in general forced to create updates
> and I am very sure that the volunteer package maintainers usually do not
> create updates that they do not want to use. So if you forbid package
> maintainers to package the version they want or need to use, being a
> fedora package maintainer becomes pretty useless for them.

I really think we want to have package maintainers whose motivation is a
bit stronger than 'I use this myself, so, meh, why not package it'. At
least for packages that are part of the default install, I would expect
at least some awareness on the part of the packager that the work he is
doing needs to fit into the larger whole which is the released product.

Matthias