PROPOSAL: Fedora user survey

drago01 drago01 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 15:42:20 UTC 2010

On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 2:51 PM, Seth Vidal <skvidal at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 9 Mar 2010, Jaroslav Reznik wrote:
>

>> Another question - how many broken things we shipped in release that could be
>> fixed by updates? We shipped lot of unfinished, feature incomplete stuff in
>> history...
>>
>> Nobody can't say I'm for shipping broken stuff - for release, updates etc...
>> I'm usually the one who says no for incomplete/broken stuff ;-)
>>
>> But please stop this. What I wanted to point out is that there ARE users out
>> there and we should know, WHO are our users. Or we can take a risk and set
>> target audience so we would know it or we can be all-catch distro but then we
>> have to behave like we are all-catch... In this case you know - we need
>> compromise...
>>

> We get the users we aim for.
>
> The issue at hand is the type of users we want to aim for.
>
> Here's the camps I see:
>
> 1. One group wants us to aim for mom/pop/grandma/desktop users - the
> apple market or what ubuntu aims for.
>
> 2. one group wants us to aim exclusively for the bleeding edge open
> source developer market.
>
> 3. one group wants us to aim for the admin/experienced user who wants
> newer things but doesn't have time nor interest to fight with lots of broken things.

Mind telling why those are mutually exclusive ?
Why does an operation system that is easy to use (1.) have to be
broken (3.) or only contain outdated stuff (3., 2.).

Even if people disagree with this we do NOT need a specific target
audience, selecting a specific group of users and telling others "go
away" is nothing but failure on our side.