PROPOSAL: Fedora user survey

Simo Sorce ssorce at redhat.com
Wed Mar 10 15:53:49 UTC 2010

On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 10:46:54 -0500 (EST)
Seth Vidal <skvidal at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Mar 2010, drago01 wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 2:51 PM, Seth Vidal
> > <skvidal at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> >> We get the users we aim for.
> >>
> >> The issue at hand is the type of users we want to aim for.
> >>
> >> Here's the camps I see:
> >>
> >> 1. One group wants us to aim for mom/pop/grandma/desktop users -
> >> the apple market or what ubuntu aims for.
> >>
> >> 2. one group wants us to aim exclusively for the bleeding edge open
> >> source developer market.
> >>
> >> 3. one group wants us to aim for the admin/experienced user who
> >> wants newer things but doesn't have time nor interest to fight
> >> with lots of broken things.
> >
> > Mind telling why those are mutually exclusive ?
> > Why does an operation system that is easy to use (1.) have to be
> > broken (3.) or only contain outdated stuff (3., 2.).
> >
> > Even if people disagree with this we do NOT need a specific target
> > audience, selecting a specific group of users and telling others "go
> > away" is nothing but failure on our side.
>
> I think the essential problem is you cannot please everyone all the
> time.
>
> Since we have finite resources we should think in that regard. Who
> are the users we want the most?

What I don't get, seriously, is why people in 2. can't use rawhide or
the latest updates-testing and instead pretend to inflict "almost
rawhide" on everybody else.

Maybe it was said in the sea of emails of the last week, and I lost it.
But this is what I am wondering.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York