Adventurous yet Safety-Minded

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Wed Mar 10 18:13:12 UTC 2010

On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 04:06:58 -0800,
  Steven I Usdansky <usdanskys at rocketmail.com> wrote:
> Instead of worrying about the occasional brokenness caused by an update to a stable release, how about focusing on a mechanism to easily recover from it? As long as the update hasn't corrupted any critical files, my non-optimal solution is to head over to koji, grab the last version of the broken package set that worked for me, and install. If yum could be persuaded to stash the required deltas locally, and downgrade using those local deltas upon request, I'd be a very happy camper.

While working on making it easier to recover from brokenness is useful, it
doesn't replace not pushing broken stuff out to users in the first place.
So it shouldn't be 'instead'.

The probablem with broken updates is that people aren't always in a position
to spend time recovering from broken updates at the time updates are applied.
And deferring updates to such a time isn't always a good alternative since
you need to worry about security updates which should be applied promptly.