Proposed udpates policy change

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Mar 10 22:59:20 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-03-10 at 22:44 +0000, Ewan Mac Mahon wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 01:21:45PM -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > On Wed, 2010-03-10 at 23:11 +0200, Gilboa Davara wrote:
> >
> > > Either we (package maintainers) are qualified to make sane decisions
> > > about our package or we are not. I don't really see a middle ground
> > > here.
> >
> > Being qualified to do something does not mean that one always does it
> > perfectly. Almost everyone's qualified to drive, yet road traffic
> > accidents happen _all the time_. The people who built the LHC were no
> > doubt qualified to do yet, yet it turns out to be a bit broken.
>
> The LHC is an interesting analogy; it certainly has problems that can be
> picked out with 20:20 hindsight, but there was no way anyone could have
> changed the processes in advance that would prevented them coming up in
> the first place.

This is certainly true. However, if they'd decided to build the whole
thing based on their first calculations, measuring once and cutting
once, and without doing any checking to make sure they were building
everything in a straight line, it probably would've gone even worse =)

you're right it was a bad example to pick, though, without further
explanation.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey