Hard drive spec change

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 11 05:19:37 UTC 2010

On 2010/03/10 22:41 (GMT-0600) Eric Sandeen composed:

> Felix Miata wrote:

>> Sounds to me like the HD manufacturers want to make 512 go the way of PATA,
>> accelerating obsolescence to drive up profitability of the whole computer
>> hardware industry. People shouldn't have to buy whole new systems for want of
>> replacing a dead 20GiB 512 byte sector HD.

> I really don't understand why this bothers you so much; there is new hardware
> on the way, and Linux works with it.  If you want to keep your 20G drives until
> they die, nobody is stopping you.  These things will likely coexist for a long time.
> Nobody is forcing your hand.

Have you tried to buy a replacement PATA disk lately, particularly one no
larger than the 2^28  ATA-5 addressing limit? Buying a replacement 20G HD, or
one compatible with it even if 10X or more the storage size actually needed,
has become a difficult task, particularly if a new product and a warranty
longer than 90 days is desired. The bother is that it looks like HD makers
will have their way with 512 as they have with PATA, forcing a lot of
otherwise useful hardware into landfills prematurely.

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/