Stable Release Updates types proposal (was Re: Fedora Board Meeting Recap 2010-03-11)

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Thu Mar 11 21:22:41 UTC 2010

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010, Seth Vidal wrote:

> And it will be impossible for users running the non-sha256 bind to
> communicate with the sha256 supporting arpa?
>
> I guess I don't understand what do the users of the existing bind LOSE?
>
> Is ARPA expecting everyone to upgrade to a sha256 supporting bind
> immediately? There's no migration window?

If someone has dnssec enabled in bind including DLV, then the key will be
found and its use will be attempted. I am not sure what happens on an older
bind 9.6.1 when that happens. One will hope it will just continue to be
treated as "insecure" and not as "bogus" (aka servfail). I have not tested
this.

But I understand your generic point. It's a feature so put it in rawhide/next
release.

Paul