Stable Release Updates types proposal (was Re: Fedora Board Meeting Recap 2010-03-11)

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Thu Mar 11 23:42:03 UTC 2010

Once upon a time, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> said:
> Jesse Keating wrote:
> > I had thought about these things, but they didn't strike me as a high
> > level update type.  And for the leaf node packages, when they do break
> > it's not as less disruptive as you might think.  Leaf node packages
> > exist for a reason, they are likely very important to somebody, and if
> > that breaks, that's going to be a very big issue for that somebody.
>
> But if they're outdated, that can also be a big issue. Some leaf packages
> are under heavy development, so users don't want to run old versions, nor do
> upstream developers want them to.

Developers can't always get what they want.  Just because Fedora updates
to upstream's release-of-the-day doesn't mean Ubuntu, SuSE, etc. have
updated (so hopefully upstream is still paying attention to older
releases).

Most reasonable upstreams I have worked with fully understand that not
everybody is running yesterday's release and will work with you if you
find a problem with an older release.  If an upstream can't handle that,
I would say that is the upstream's problem, not Fedora's.
--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>