Stable Release Updates types proposal (was Re: Fedora Board Meeting Recap 2010-03-11)

Thomas Janssen thomasj at fedoraproject.org
Fri Mar 12 11:33:15 UTC 2010

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 12:09 PM, Rahul Sundaram <metherid at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 03/12/2010 04:36 PM, Thomas Janssen wrote:
>>
>> And i disagree here. People like that have to face that Fedora or any
>> similar distro isn't for them.
>>

> I don't see why you want to continue pushing off users instead of
> working out a method that satisfies more users.  Breaking ABI stability
> gratuitously as has been done in the destabilises the platform and
> causes unnecessary churn.

I wasn't answering the ABI stability part. But the people-in-dial-up-land part.
I do understand both sides at the ABI breaking discussion.

>> If they live in dial-up-land, they should use something like RHEL,
>> CentOS, Debian stable or whatever.
>> OR they learn to read documentation, understand the packagemanagement
>> and how to update only security fixes.
>>

> Have you tried sticking to security updates only?  If you have done
> that, you will know that it still doesn't save up much because updates
> often pile up.  The way it is done within Fedora, security fixes are
> often new major upstream versions that suck in a lot of the enhancement
> updates as dependencies.

Not every time, but can happen yes. That's why i wrote, people have to
face that and use what fits their needs.
I have read all this mega-threads and i haven't found just a single
argument why it's good for Fedora to change away from what we are.

I do think some people really need to learn that testing updates is
essential and badly needed. Though that's nothing to explain the "make
Fedora more like RHEL" discussions. And now with the Boards vision it
will be.

So to be honest i can't see any reason why people still fight. It's
over from my POV. What will happen with Fedora, *shrugs*, we will see.

If you ask yourself why i answered on your post in the first place,
it's because i can't believe that dial-up-land user are really that
stubborn and use Fedora (and even worse try to change it) instead of
using what fits their needs. Sorry if 'stupid' hurts someones
feelings, but that's what i think about it.

Next time i buy a car, i will buy one who gets upgrades on a regular
base, but hard for me to get it in my country. I will then complain
and cry until they start to support me well. Sure i could buy a
different car that's older and needs just a bit oil from time to time,
but hey, this is a free world, i can change anything.

--
LG Thomas

Dubium sapientiae initium