Stable Release Updates types proposal (was Re: Fedora Board Meeting Recap 2010-03-11)

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Fri Mar 12 14:01:47 UTC 2010

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 12:23:58PM +0000, Andy Green wrote:

> However I agree this isn't a real issue, the packages with the homegrown
> apps should choke the yum update because they see the lib versions they
> depend on would go away, so nothing breaks.

Only if they're using the packaging system. While in an ideal world
everything would be packaged in Fedora, the reality is that there's
plenty of code that isn't, and users do do things like download stuff
and run ./configure; make; make install. The ones who are least likely
to know how to generate packages are the ones who are most likely to be
confused by applications suddenly breaking because of a soname bump, and
they're the ones who are going to be wary of running *any* updates
because they tend to break stuff for them.

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org