Stable Release Updates types proposal (was Re: Fedora Board Meeting Recap 2010-03-11)

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Fri Mar 12 15:16:22 UTC 2010

On 03/12/2010 03:54 PM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> On 03/12/2010 08:24 PM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
>> Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>>
>>> I should make people sit in a dial-up connection and have them
>>> update software now and then to bring them back to the ground.
>>>
>> I don't see why we should cripple our distribution just to support
>> communication technologies from the 80s or 90s. It's 2010 now, those
>> technologies are over 10 years out of date!
>>
>> If the infrastructure sucks where you live, what needs to happen is that the
>> infrastructure needs to improve, not that the whole world adapts to stone-
>> age infrastructure.
>>
> This is extremely poor attitude Kevin and reeks of arrogance.  Talking
> down on users and contributors who don't have the privilege of high
> bandwidth connections isn't what I expected from you.  Nothing left to say.
Fedora had never been usable on really low bandwidth from its first day
on - Telling otherwise is simply not true.

The only option to use Fedora with such kind of low bandwidth systems is
to disable automated updates, PackageKit etc. and to resort to manual
yum updates, being run when such system has access to high bandwidth,
rsp. costs and/or time allow.

Finally, it's not the number of updates which render using Fedora on
such systems tedious, it's the "big packages", e.g. the kernel,
openoffice or even worse some of these 100MB-large game data files.

Ralf