Stable Release Updates types proposal (was Re: Fedora Board Meeting Recap 2010-03-11)

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Fri Mar 12 15:11:43 UTC 2010

Andy Green wrote:

> On 03/12/10 00:45, Somebody in the thread at some point said:
>
>> If you are the user, then you should not be compiling software. :-) You
>> should be using some repository and that repository is responsible for
>> rebuilding the package.
>
> I tend to agree with what you have been writing but this seems wrong.
>
> I don't think I'm the only person who is using Fedora as a basis for
> homegrown apps, if what I want isn't in Fedora (because I am creating it
> locally) then I certainly will "compile software" as a Fedora user and
> the case must be considered.

Uh, please read the context of my statement!

I wrote:
> Huh? I have to compile the stuff I am developing very often anyway.
> Having to rebuild it once is not going to be the end of the world.

Simo Sorce replied:
> It is if you are not the developer but the user.

And I replied:
> If you are the user, then you should not be compiling software. :-)

In this context, if you're writing homegrown apps, you're a "developer", not
a "user", so the above sentence obviously does not apply. Instead, my
original point does (you'll be compiling your own software very often
anyway).

        Kevin Kofler