Stable Release Updates types proposal (was Re: Fedora Board Meeting Recap 2010-03-11)

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Fri Mar 12 15:39:43 UTC 2010

Matthew Garrett wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 04:13:17PM +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
>> Matthew Garrett wrote:
>> > users do do things like download stuff and run ./configure; make; make
>> > install
>>
>> Why would we even try to support that?
>
> Because we don't package every piece of software in the world?

That's the problem then. :-) Alternatively, that's what third-party
repositories are for. But end users should not be compiling software, at
least not in that way. (Users are of course free to modify software, that's
what Free Software is about, but the proper way to do that is to build a
modified version of the SRPM and end up with a proper package. And let's
face it, most end users will not modify their software in the first place
anyway, even if they theoretically could.)

        Kevin Kofler