Stable Release Updates types proposal (was Re: Fedora Board Meeting Recap 2010-03-11)

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Fri Mar 12 15:35:39 UTC 2010

Matthias Clasen wrote:
> Stop shouting already. Those abi-changing updates are there because YOU
> keep pushing them, making the lives of our users hard without any good
> justification other than 'my way or the highway'. It is increasingly
> becoming clear that no reasonable compromise is possible with you.

Uh, I am far from the only one who pushes ABI-changing updates. I'm not even
one of the main offenders. The only ABI bump I remember pushing on my own is
aseqmm/drumstick which is under heavy development upstream, is used by
exactly 1 application in Fedora (KMid2) and only 2 or 3 other apps which are
also under heavy development, regularly pick up new versions of drumstick
and even bundle the drumstick they need (so for third-party builds, if the
version in Fedora is not good or stable enough, the bundled version can be
used). The KDE 4.4 update set did include a few ABI bumps (sip 4.10,
kdelibs-experimental, kipi framework in kdegraphics-libs) with associated
rebuilds, but it was not my decision alone to push that update. Please don't
turn this into an ad hominem discussion.

For example, there are many cases of libraries which are basically only used
by one application, at least within our repository. Those routinely get
bumped, and I really don't see why we'd need to stop that.

        Kevin Kofler