Stable Release Updates types proposal (was Re: Fedora Board Meeting Recap 2010-03-11)

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Fri Mar 12 16:07:04 UTC 2010

On 03/12/2010 08:46 PM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

>> This is extremely poor attitude Kevin and reeks of arrogance.  Talking
>> down on users and contributors who don't have the privilege of high
>> bandwidth connections isn't what I expected from you.  Nothing left to say.
>>
> Fedora had never been usable on really low bandwidth from its first day
> on - Telling otherwise is simply not true.
The past does not dictate the future even assuming this claim is true. The reality is that we are hardly going to get a fairly small percentage of free and open source apps in the Fedora repository assuming that we are wildly successful and in reality, ABI breakages are going to cause problems for many of our users including users with internal applications.  If someone refuses to accept this reality and want to live in the ideal world where everything is packaged and available in some repo, their solutions are not going to work out well.  Acknowledging that we can do better would be a good first step.  I am not saying that, ABI breakages should be avoided at all cost (that holds true for EL as well) but we can make avoid some of more gratuitous ones atleast.

Rahul