Stable Release Updates types proposal (was Re: Fedora Board Meeting Recap 2010-03-11)

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Fri Mar 12 19:00:23 UTC 2010

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 10:56:07AM +1000, Peter Hutterer wrote:
> As in, on average what are the costs of leaving a bug in vs. the cost of
> updating to a new release. I noticed that there's a number of bugs that only
> affect a subset of users that (often) can work around the issue. So the cost
> - while high to a particular user - may be quite limited.
> Updating to a new release will affect _every_ user and given that software
> is imperfect it's likely that existing bugs will just be replaced by new,
> different bugs. So on the one side you have the cost of having known bugs,
> on the other side you have the benefit of fixing (some) bugs but the cost of
> new bugs and a potential change in the user experience. Which one is higher
> than the other one?

I think you're hitting the nail on the head with this question.  However,
I'm afraid that the answer depends on the class of user.  Some users want to
have their old bugs fixed ASAP and are willing to tolerate some regressions
as long as those regressions are in turn fixed.  Other users are willing to
work around a known bug as long as they don't have to learn about new bugs
when an update comes along.

Except for a few people's proposals (dledford, adamw, jreznik, lmacken,
dmalcolm) most of the proposals are weighting one of these viewpoints over
the other which is not a very good way to build a community.

-Toshio