Stable Release Updates types proposal

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Fri Mar 12 20:21:41 UTC 2010

Thomas Janssen wrote:
> That was the first post who made me think different about the infra
> problem. I'm still not with the idea to change Fedora completely. But i
> think a compromise like N-1 as much as possible only security and bugfixes
> (from our bugzilla only, so it's clear *our* users face them).
> Includes to me no games with the kernel and other big packages of
> software. Kernel just security fixes in updates. Bugfix releases of
> the kernel either in a special repo for N-1 or from koji.
> Keep N as it is to satisfy the people who want it leading edge. Means
> the behavior as yet, except with autoQA testing and the other
> improvements already mentioned to prevent breakage as much as
> possible.
>
> Rawhide the same as it is.
>
> That should make anybody happy. People who expect Fedora as it is
> right now, stay with N and people with lower bandwidth, infra
> problems, can use N-1.
>
> Could be started with F-13 release.

The problem with all the proposals centered on the idea of N-1 as
conservative, N as less conservative, including yours above and jreznik's,
is that it forces all the people who expect a constant type of updates to
upgrade twice as often, i.e. twice a year. Especially for the conservative
folks, this will be a big annoyance. With low bandwidths, you have to get a
CD/DVD shipped each time! In addition, I think the inconsistency will
confuse our users a lot.

        Kevin Kofler