Stable Release Updates types proposal (was Re: Fedora Board Meeting Recap 2010-03-11)

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Fri Mar 12 21:15:43 UTC 2010

Adam Williamson wrote:
> It may be a good idea to synchronize with RPM Fusion too, to avoid
> things like this:
>
> http://nicubunu.blogspot.com/2010/03/no-video-for-you-at-least-not-today.html

We do synchronize with RPM Fusion, and RPM Fusion has been aware of the need to
upgrade kdenlive in particular since before Qt 4.6 went out to stable. The
reason it took that long has all to do with issues internal to RPM Fusion:
* the maintainer intended to orphan the package, a new maintainer volunteered,
  but ownership is STILL not transferred after over 3 weeks!
* build system issues prevented a successful kdenlive build for several days,
* the package is now sitting in testing instead of getting pushed to stable.
  The maintainer who intends to pick up kdenlive asked for the update to go to
  stable after a day of testing given the urgency, but 3 days have passed since
  the testing push and it's still not in stable, despite some other packages
  having been pushed since, so I guess the request has been lost. There is
  nothing like Bodhi in RPM Fusion, so expedited stable pushes have to be
  requested and handled manually.

Unfortunately, there isn't much we could have done better on the Fedora end.
:-(

        Kevin Kofler