Stable Release Updates types proposal (was Re: Fedora Board Meeting Recap 2010-03-11)

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Mar 12 21:54:17 UTC 2010

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> On 03/13/2010 03:01 AM, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>>
>> Maybe by chasing "stable" you will find more users, but I think you will
>> lose adventurous users in the doing. I also think that the sort of user
>> you are likely to pi^H^Hirritate are the ones more likely to contribute,
>> and the ones you are going to attract are more likely to be
>> uncontributing leaches.
>>

> So now users who don't contribute are leeches? Wow. Just wow.   Without
> users, contributors wouldn't have much of a motivation to contribute.

Yes.

Interesting how you define users as people that give a warm fuzzy
feeling to packagers. Great! Looks like they just contributed something
:-). Bug reports, testing, even sending kudos are forms of contribution.
I'm thinking of people that silently consume without giving anything
back whatsoever, or worse, consume and complain without giving back
anything positive.

I had gotten the impression that Fedora wanted people that would be
actively involved, that would contribute testing, documentation, ideally
even code... more than just statistics and a warm fuzzy feeling. But I
guess I am wrong.

(Heh, I just noticed today's .sig... oddly appropriate.)

--
Matthew
Time to get out the marshmallows...