Adventurous yet Safety-Minded

Jon Masters jonathan at jonmasters.org
Fri Mar 12 22:18:51 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-03-12 at 17:04 -0500, Chris Ball wrote:

>    > But (and I mean this with no disrespect to anyone else) I am not
>    > going to want to use it seriously when it means rolling back
>    > everything that changed since installing updates (sure, if the
>    > update is a kernel update and you literally rebooted the second
>    > the update happened, doing nothing else - but most updates don't
>    > bite me until I try to use some app later).
>
> That's fine -- don't use it.  It will offer a solution to people whose
> system is hosed enough that they're willing to put up with having to
> manually pick up user files that changed since the update containing
> the broken packages happened, and offering a solution for that
> disasterous case is better than not offering one.  It makes it so
> that more people can use Rawhide than would otherwise be able to.

Absolutely. I'm not against any of this, I'm just against the suggestion
that was made that it is a solution for botched updates in general (i.e.
in released, e.g. on my future F13 stable system). It *is* a great
solution for the "OMG, I'm so hosed" like other OS's I could mention
already have, and especially if /home is on a different LV.

Jon.