Stable Release Updates types proposal (was Re: Fedora Board Meeting Recap 2010-03-11)

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Fri Mar 12 22:23:10 UTC 2010

Peter Jones wrote:

> On 03/11/2010 07:26 PM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
>> Upstream cannot go back in time and magically fix a bug in an old
>> release.
>
> As an upstream maintainer, I wind up doing exactly this *constantly*.

No you don't. (I don't believe you invented time travel, sorry. ;-) ) You
can only release a NEW release with this fixed. Which by a strict enough
update policy (e.g. Debian stable's) already counts as a "new upstream
release", even if you only made that one particular change.

And in addition, many upstreams don't work that way. Sure, they will release
a new release with this fixed, but it will come from the current trunk which
also has many other changes. Many upstream projects do not use branches, all
releases come from the trunk, and it is totally impractical to make a fixed
version of every past release ever made. Not to mention that they will also
see no reason to do that: in fact, they will expect the packager to also
ship those other changes, as they are all there for a reason, e.g. because
they fix other bugs.

        Kevin Kofler