Stable Release Updates types proposal

Jon Masters jonathan at jonmasters.org
Fri Mar 12 23:17:27 UTC 2010

> Simo Sorce wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 21:18:11 +0100
> > Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:
> >
> >> The problem is, if all the
> >> distributions optimize for people with low bandwidth, then what
> >> should people like me who have higher bandwidths and would like to
> >> use their bandwidth to get current software use?
> >
> > rawhide? F-13 ?
>
> No.

Yes.

> Rawhide is not the answer.

<pantomime>Oh yes it is</pantomime>

> It comes with disruptive changes

So does F12 today. I have a desktop here I've been logged into for 2
weeks and I daren't run an update on it for fear something is going to
break. I don't know that something is going to break, just that the last
few times I did an update I had to reboot and fix something afterward,
and it invariably took more than a few minutes to get back to where I
started. I will update over the weekend, and I'm expecting something to
break. Conversely, I expect my rawhide installs to break each day and
they have actually been more stable recently than my F12 updates!

Kevin, it sounds like you're mostly concerned with KDE. Do you have an
objection to the rest of F12 critical path stuff being left alone so I
can rely on my GNOME desktop, with my printer, displays, etc. just
working as they do today if I update tomorrow? If you don't, and if
you're mostly concerned about KDE, then please say so. I don't have a
huge objection (tongue in cheek jokes aside) if KDE updates every day :)

Jon.